Diabetes is a serious disease; once it affects the person it stays for lifelong and has to be managed by leading a very restricted lifestyle. Diabetes occurs when the body fails to produce enough insulin or cannot use its own insulin as it should, resulting in an abnormal build-up of glucose in the blood, causing serious health issues like a failure of certain organs in the body.
Most common types of diabetes are:-
- Type-1 diabetes- Type-1 diabetes is a condition in which beta cells of the pancreas are attacked or damaged by the immune system, resulting in failure of the pancreas to release insulin (necessary for converting glucose into energy) causing a build-up of glucose in the blood.
- Type-2 diabetes- This condition occurs when the body fails to use the insulin produced by the pancreas leading to the build-up of sugar in the blood, instead of converting into energy, necessary for the bodily functions. In this type of diabetes, your doctor will recommend certain oral medications to help manage your diabetes.
It is very important to learn all you can about diabetes. Make healthy eating and physical activity part of your daily routine and maintain an ideal weight to avoid diabetes.
Ways to avoid diabetes
To prevent diabetes you have to go for regular checkups and discuss with your doctor the ways to prevent risks of developing diabetes.
- Diet plays a very important role putting you at risk for diabetes, so avoid consuming foods high in refined carbs and sugar as they increase blood sugar and insulin levels, which may lead to diabetes over time. Strike off these foods to prevent getting diabetes. Drink more water and avoid beverages containing sugar – like soda and punch have been linked to an increased risk of both type 2 diabetes.
- Avoid processed and packaged foods as these foods are loaded with unhealthy fats and sugar.
- Regular exercise will help you keep you away from diabetes; exercise raises the insulin sensitivity of your cells. So when you exercise, less insulin is required to keep your blood sugar levels under control. It is very important that you go for regular walks or take up some exercise that keeps you physically active.
- If you are overweight try to reduce weight as this can be very dangerous for your health.
- If you are addicted to smoking, it’s time you give up as it increases your risk for diabetes.
Conclusion – Consume foods high in fiber, low-carbs, switch to more fresh fruits and vegetables and don’t forget to get your daily dose of exercise, all these will help you avoid diabetes.