Sage is also known as garden sage, true sage and meadow sage; it is basically an herb that belongs to mint family. The leaf of sage is used for medicinal purpose.
Nutritional value – sage is packed with many nutrients like -vitamins, minerals and essential oils that provide numerous health benefits.
Here are some of the health benefits of sage
- Memory –consuming sage even in small quantities is said to boost memory retention, increases concentration, increases focus and helps promote overall cognitive skills. It will benefit students by improving their memory, so include this wonder herb in your diet for good brain health.
- Controls high cholesterol – consuming sage in sufficient amounts is known to reduce bad cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides and increase good cholesterol (HDL).
- Fights free radicals -sage is rich in antioxidant compounds such as rosmarinic acid, apigenin and luteolin. All these compounds in sage helps fight off free radicals that causes oxidative stress in the heart and almost all parts of the body. Include sage in your diet to protect your healthy cells.
- Fights Alzheimer’s diseases –sage being a powerful antioxidant rich herb, has the ability to boost brain health and therefore helps in improving memory and concentration. Consuming extracts of two varieties of sage species (salvia officinalis and salvia lavandulaefolia) regularly for at least four months can help reduce the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Boosts immunity – sage contains antimicrobial properties, so when you apply tincture of sage it helps prevent bacterial infections that enters through skin and make way into the body. We always think that bacteria can enter our body only through mouth or nose, but surprisingly it can also enter through skin. So applying topical cream of sage extracts can help body defend against the bacteria entering through skin.
- Excellent for skin health– sage is powerhouse of antioxidants that destroy free radicals known to causes skin problems like fine lines and wrinkles. Sage oil is rich in vitamin A and calcium that helps in skin regeneration.
- Adds luster to hair -sage tea has number of health benefits, it is known to reduce graying of hair and make your hair shiny. You can rinse your hair with sage tea which helps to color your grey hair and makes your hair shinier.
- Relaxes menstrual discomfort -women who suffer from menstrual pain, bloating and heavy flow can get relief by drinking a cup of sage tea, it has the ability to decrease discomfort and regulate menstrual cycles.
- Helps in digestion -consuming sage tea helps in smooth digestion and calms and soothes digestive tract.
- Lowers blood sugar levels –studies have shown that sage leaf extract has anti-hyperglycemia properties that can lower blood sugar levels, sage works by inhibiting the release of stored glucose from the liver.
- Cures depression -sage infusion helps deal with depression, as it contains Thujone that is known to help get over the symptoms of depression.
Apart from these benefits sage also helps in dealing with fatigue, nervousness, stress, headaches, tiredness and anxiety.
Bottom-line- Sage is a powerful herb, packed with healthy nutrients, includes this wonderful herb in your diet regime, also take advantage of its medicinal properties by using it to cure various ailments.