Beetroots belong to group of root vegetables, known for their high nutritional value and mainly consist of good amount of water content, carbohydrates (glucose and fructose) and fiber which can provide number of health benefits.
Nutritional value of beet roots – Beets are packed with all the essential nutrients required to fulfil your daily dose of nutrition. Beets are excellent source of folate, potassium, manganese, iron, fiber and vitamin C.
Below is the list of some of the health benefits of eating beetroot:
- Controls blood pressure – packed with vital nutrients, beetroots are excellent for controlling blood pressure. Eating beets regularly can reduce blood pressure and prevent risk of developing heart diseases.
- Boosts stamina – beetroots are excellent source of inorganic nitrate content which is known to enhance stamina while performing any physical activity. When you consume beetroots or beet juice your oxygen supply is boosted which gives you more stamina while doing any form of exercise like running, cycling, swimming or any exercise.
- Boosts digestive function – beets are high in fiber, which is needed by the digestive system to function smoothly. Including beets in your diet helps promote good bacteria in your gut which in turn aids in smooth digestion, promotes regular and smooth bowel movements and prevents constipation and other digestive problems.
- Boosts brain health -beets are high in nitrate content which boosts flow of oxygen rich blood throughout the body as well as brain, which is very helpful for improving cognitive functions.
- Helps lose weight- beets are super rich in water content, packed with fiber and are low in calories all these qualities make beetroot an excellent food to be included in your daily diet to help lose weight.
- Detoxifies body – Consuming beets regularly aids in detoxification of your body. Beetroot juice has the power to clean up the toxins accumulated in your body and eliminates them in the form of stools.
- Protects you heart – beets are rich in antioxidants called polyphenols and betanin (gives rich colour to beetroot). Antioxidants in beetroot helps control bad cholesterol which in turn is good for your heart.
- Good for hair – beetroot is very good for fighting hair and scalp problems. You can boil beet slices and use this water to massage on your scalp and leave it for few minutes to deal with itchy and flaky scalp. Eating beets regularly can also nourish your hair and make it healthy.
- Good for overall health – beets are packed with high quality nutrients like vitamin C, fiber, iron, manganese, potassium and folate all of which are essential for normal tissue growth, smooth digestion and for strengthening immunity.
Things to remember –When you buy fresh beetroots with leaves ,make sure not to throw away the leaves as they are also highly nutritious and are rich source of calcium, iron, vitamin A, K and C. You can add beet leaves to any of your food preparation. Beets must not be over cooked as it may lessen its nutritional value. You can eat beets either raw or boiled and can add to your salads, soups or make juice and drink it every day to gain numerous health benefits.