Nutritionists and dieticians all around the world have warned against consummation of bread especially that is made with refined flour and have recommended us to at least prefer bread made with whole grains instead. Since most of the breads available in the market are made of gluten grains like wheat, many health experts say that can be very harmful to the body. The reason is breads are quick to digest and also quickly trigger blood sugar and insulin levels, which can lead to the various health issues.
Why Bread is not Favored by Health Experts
Bread is not the best source of nutrients and it has been known for some time, Breads that are claimed to be made from whole grain does not actually contain whole grains in it, because when grain are grounded into flour it is in a powder form, when consumed the body easily digest the bread eaten and is absorbed into the bloodstream as glucose. This leads to increased secretion of hormone known as insulin due to which blood sugar level shoots up ,leading to extreme hunger pangs, as a result you tend to eat , and when you eat a high carbohydrate diet ,this again leads to elevated blood sugars that makes you hungry and you eat again ,this is why health experts say eat low carb diet especially if you are diabetic.
- Breads are made from gluten rich grains, it is carbohydrate rich food that can be harmful for your digestive tract and causes bloating, constipation, damage to the wall of the intestinal tract and tiredness. Gluten may be good to make some food preparations but when consumed on regular basis in any form such as bread can be very harmful.
- Bread cannot be made without gluten that is loaded in wheat and other grains. But gluten can be harmful because it cannot be digested easily, it needs strong stomach acids to carry out the digestion process. That can be damaging to the digestive system
- Breads not only have gluten in them ,but also other components such as sugars, syrups ,fructose and other chemical preservatives that can elevate your blood sugar forcing your body to store that extra energy ,that turns into fat ,leading to obesity
- Bread lacks nutritional content, this is due the refining process that goes into making breads, which wipes out its nutritional components including bran and germ. Bread does not contain any nutrients that can’t be found in other foods. It clearly indicates what we are eating is devoid of vitamins and minerals.
- Bread is made of variety of grains that contain phytic acid that can prevent the body from absorbing crucial vitamins and minerals.
- Health researchers have viewed that the gluten found in bread may make you addictive to eating more bread, it is because gluten in bread triggers the brains opiate receptors that elevates a sense of delightfulness when consumed, making you addictive
Side effects of eating bread
- Weight Gain – bread is high in carbohydrates, and calories, low in nutrients and does not contain other healthy components and eating such food can make you gain weight faster.
- Diabetes – bread contains carbohydrates, sugars that can elevate sugar levels in the blood that leads to secretion of excess insulin into the bloodstream and can make the cells insulin resistant, making it difficult to control sugar levels. People with diabetics should completely strike off bread from their diet
- Irritable bowel syndrome – breads lack fiber and essential nutrients that are important for digestive system, and if you already have digestion issues or irritable bowel syndrome, bread can cause severe harm to your intestines causing abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhea and constipation.
- Raises cholesterol – whole wheat bread can raise LDL (bad cholesterol) cholesterol which is not good for heart as it can causes heart disease.
- Nutritional deficiency – eating breads regularly can lead to deficiency of important nutrients as it interrupts with absorption of other vital vitamins and minerals
If you cannot stay away from then follow these tips
- choose a high-quality whole wheat, read the labels to avoid the additives that are often infused into breads that are sold commercially
- If possible try to make your own flour by soaking, sprouting and drying the grains and grinding them to use in your breads. If you make your own bread you can take care of the ingredients that goes into making breads and also you’ll have the liberty to avoid addictive and preservatives
Breads have so many downsides, it doesn’t possess the essential amino acids, leads to formation of mucus and causes other problems. It is better to consume breads in moderation, if possible avoid eating on regular basis. The presence of gluten in bread gives you the reason to eliminate from your diet as it is very harmful, and more over it does not offer you any health benefits you can avoid bread, especially the white one. Try to stick to healthier diet choices.