Sinus infection is the most common health concern that affects millions of people around the globe. Sinus refers to hollow areas around the nasal, forehead, between the eyes, they are connected system of hollow cavities in the skull which has lining of soft, pink tissue called mucosa. Sinusitis is caused when the sinus is inflamed due to mucus build up in these hollow areas. It is very painful and discomforting condition that affects paranasal cavity – it is a hollow space located at the back of the face that directs towards nasal cavity.
When the sinuses are blocked or inflamed due to infection caused bacteria, fungi or allergy it leads to range of symptoms which includes:-
Symptoms of sinus infection:
Cough, Facial pain, Blocked nose, Fatigue, Fever, Nasal discharge, Nasal blockage,, Runny Nose, Heavy facial pressure, Headaches, Thick green or yellow mucus, Tooth pain, Bad breath, Loss of sense of smell
Treating sinus infection:
Sinus infection is often painful but it heals on its own and does not necessarily need any treatment. Since sinus is a painful and very bothersome experience there are some treatments to help you get relief from sinus infection.
- Apply warm compress – you can get relief from sinus pain by applying warm compress on your eyes, forehead and cheeks, it helps ease pain and pressure.
- Use saline nose spray – using saline sprays will keep your nose moist by and help subside your sinus swelling, loosens and clears blocked nose. You can buy saline spray in any medical store.
- Use a humidifier – Using humidifier at night time when you sleep will help your blocked sinus open and also you’ll feel lighter as your blocked nose will be open.
- Steam – inhale steam to open your stuffy nose, this is a very simple natural way to get relief from sinus pain.
- Drink plenty of water – drinking plenty of water is not only good for your system; it keeps your body hydrated and prevents bacteria from settling into the nasal passage.
- Medicines – steroids, decongestants, and antihistamine tablets can ease your sinus symptoms, reduce inflammation in the sinus, and thereby give you relief from sinus discomfort.
- Surgery – If you have chronic sinus infection, which does not subside with over the counter medicines, then you may need to go for sinus surgery.