Tonsil stones is also known as Tonsillitis ( is a hard white or yellow formation) is found in the tonsils, it is like a tiny stone that harbours bacteria, which erupts foul smell, causing bad breath.Tonsil stones commonly occurs in palatine tonsils (located on the left and right sides behind the throat). Tonsillitis are made up of hard and extremely smelly material that is why it causes bad breath.
Reasons for tonsils stone formation
The tonsils are soft tissues situated at the back of the throat (pharynx), they contain pits called crypts, when tonsils are infected due to accumulation of debris, such as dead cells, Saliva, mucus and trapped food in the crypts, over time it hardens and takes the form of small stones, on which bacteria feed, leading to bad breath or odour. This condition usually occurs in people who have poor dental hygiene, chronic sinus and inflamed tonsils.
Here are some of the symptoms of presence of tonsil stones that includes:
- Sore throat
- Distinct odour
- Difficulty swallowing
- inflamed tonsils
- constant cough
- Ear pain
- Redness in the tonsils
People who are at risk for getting tonsil stones
- People with poor oral hygiene
- people with chronic sinus issues
- People who smoke
- large tonsils also cause tonsil stones
Getting rid of tonsillitis
- Gargling- The most common way of suppressing tonsillitis insalt water will help you eradicate accumulated food particles and other small debris.
- Maintain dental hygiene- It is essential to maintain dental hygiene like proper brushing with good quality toothbrush, using a mouthwash to remove unwanted particles from the mouth, so that your mouth remains clean and discourage bacteria from settling in the tonsils.
- Lime juice-lime water is an excellent drink which helps eliminate bacteria and remove tonsil stones.
- Drink plenty of water- Drinking plenty of water, keeps your body hydrated and also prevents accumulation of dead particles in the tonsils and prevents formation of tonsil stones.
- Tonsillectomy- Tonsil stones are removed surgically using the procedure tonsillectomy (in which a scalpel, laser or coblation device is used).
- Use water flossing device- Using water flossing device can help to remove deposits from the tonsils.
- Probiotics- Daily intake of probiotics help build up good bacteria that is helpful in fighting bad bacteria causing infections. Include yogurt in your diet as it a probiotic.
- Food- Vegetables , fruits should be included in your diet, as they have water content which makes difficult for bacteria to survive, onions are also known to have antibacterial properties and helpful in removing tonsil stones. Garlic is also loaded with anti-bacterial properties,helpful in stopping the formation of tonsil stones.
- Antibiotics- Growth of the bacteria, causing tonsil stones can be controlled by certain antibiotics.
Conclusion-Remember tonsil stones are not contagious, it a common problem and can be managed by some home remedies and by practising proper dental hygiene, but to prevent formation of frequent tonsils.Visit a doctor for proper diagnosesin case of extreme infection of the tonsil, to avoid serious complications.